Requirements & Application Information
In order to be admitted to the dietetic internship, students must meet the following requirements:
- bachelor’s degree from a US regionally accredited college/university or foreign equivalent,
- verification statement from an ACEND accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) or Foreign Dietitian Education program,
- minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.25 on a 4 point scale, and
- admission to the Graduate College at Texas State (please note: applicants to the DI as a stand alone program apply to the Graduate College after they are admitted to the DI. Admitted interns will receive further instructions about this when they are accepted.).
Additionally, the admissions committee considers the following criteria in the selection process:
- high achievement in DPD courses (as evidenced by a high DPD GPA),
- enrollment and success in the master of human nutrition program at Texas State,
- passion for pediatric nutrition and food security work,
- professional and/or volunteer experience, and
- professional and academic references.
Students who are admitted to the dietetic internship must provide the following to the DI Director prior to the first day of the Summer II semester. Failure to complete the post-acceptance requirements will prevent participation in supervised practice and may result in dismissal from the internship.
- Original Verification Statement signed by DPD Director
- Official transcript verifying bachelor’s degree (or highest degree achieved)
- Proof of the following immunizations (measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, poliomyelitis, hepatitis B, varicella, influenza)
- Evidence of a negative tuberculosis test
- Evidence of a negative drug test
- Completion of a criminal background check
- Proof of current health insurance
Requirements to Become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
The following information from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics outlines the process for becoming a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist:
- Complete a bachelor's degree and receive a verification statement from an ACEND-accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics.
- Get matched/admitted to and successfully complete an ACEND-accredited supervised practice dietetic internship program (like ours).
- Pass the Commission on Dietetic Registration's dietetic registration exam.
- Gain licensure in your state of practice, if applicable.
- Maintain continuing education.